Tapped into Craft Libations and Victuals: Arabicadabra Coffee Stout from Bell’s Brewery
By Timothy G. Beeman II
We usually highlight NC-based beers in this column but this is one that I can’t pass on talking about. The weather is getting cooler and it’s time for a coffee stout to warm the cockles of your heart as well as give you that tingly feeling all over. Bell’s Arabicadabra Coffee Stout is your key to dark beer pleasure.
Of course, I have talked about Bell’s Beer in this column and on The Less Desirables and The Beer Dads podcasts before. I’m not the biggest fan of their lighter or hoppier brews but I love all their porters, brown ales and stouts. I think that is what they should focus more on, but some like the Oberon and Two Hearted Ale. I think those are decent but the darker things, that’s where it’s at!
Named because it is infused with Arabica coffee extract made from fair trade, organic Nicaraguan and Sumatra beans. The flavor is definitely like a strong cup o’ joe with the beer still showing up to remind you what you’re drinking. The finish is a smooth java while the mouthfeel is heavy with a creamy subtlety. You can’t go wrong with this beer. I don’t know how much caffeine is in it, but I do know the ABV is 5.5%. You can get it at your favorite bottle shop, like Dogwood Hops and Crops or tap in your favorite pub or bar (also like Dogwood). I loved this brew and I will rate it 4.75 pints out of 5.
Featured RELEASES & Tastings
• Dogwood Hops & Crops Delivers! Download the app or www.dogwoodhopsandcrops.com Delivery hours M-Th 4p-10p, F-Sat 4p-1a, Sun 4p-9p.
• Hoots Roller Bar & Beer Co.: Morning Stout is an annual release in partnership with Krankies Coffee. This stout is a NC malt made with locally roasted coffee and only enjoys one release a year. It’s rich, bold and complex. Release date was November 28 and will be available through the month of December.
• 12/6: Hattie B’s: Old Nick Williams Whiskey Tasting – Fresh, Aromatic, Full Bodies, Warm, Bright Finished whiskey, made of 100% grains grown in NC
• 12/12: Reel Seafood Grill – Champaign Dinner
• 12/16: Hattie B’s Foothills Tap Takeover
• 12/18 – Tre Nonne Italian Restaurant Traditional Italian Christmas Wine Dinner